Bill Robertson. I'm the old one on the right. Those are my boys, Jack & Joe. I love 'em more than they can count.

The Deli Blog-B.A.D. University

     Believe it or not, we had a method to our madness at The Big Apple Deli. Our goal was pretty simple. I'd tell each new employee: "I want every customer who leaves here to say, 'The food was good. The atmosphere was fun. But I'm coming back because NO ONE'S ever kissed my ass like that.'" I'd apologize for my vulgarity, but I wanted to get my point across and in no uncertain terms.

     To reach that point, every new hire got the nickel tour. We'd start at the front door. I'd literally say things like: "This is what we call the dining room. Here's our trash can. Check out the bathrooms. They're important. We always want them as clean as possible. We're on 26th street. The post office is behind the blue building. Etc, etc."
      I'd explain that every time you hear the front door open, I want all employees on the floor to say "Hello, c'mon in!" I'd go on to tell them "Kinda like Cici's Pizza--just not as creepy or neurotic."

Then, I'd say, "I want every customer to feel at home like in "Cheers." That's when I'd get the look. There was not a single new hire who'd ever seen "Cheers." Not one. Still, I think I used that example for every new hire.

       People got hired for a variety of positions; Kitchen, meat slicer, cook and waiter. And anyone hired to serve or who we thought had the potential to serve had to go to B.A.D. University.
      The purpose for B.A.D. University was simple. We expected anyone working the floor to know their product. We expected any/all waiter(s) to be able to answer all questions regarding the menu, take the order in a well written way and not only wait on their tables but always be on the lookout for other tables who might be in want of something/anything.
       The presumption being if our waiters knew their game then the customers would leave feeling their server was completely focused on them, their food and the reputation of the deli.

     B.A.D. U. always started the same way. One employee and I sat the bar with lots of scrap paper. First I say, "We make sandwiches and burgers. We have a few sides & a few drinks plus beer or wine. The more you know, the more the customers thinks you care and the more they'll tip you and the more they'll enjoy their time here at the deli. Got it?"

      We'd cover all our meats, cheeses and breads. We'd cover all of our sides and drinks. "We don't have Diet Dr. Pepper. You'll get asked a lot."
      We'd cover what is corned beef, is our pepper jack cheese hot, what's in our deviled eggs, do we serve regular ranch and WE DON'T HAVE DIET DR. PEPPER.

      The first task was to teach what I called our Cut n' Serve Sandwiches & Burgers. These were the ones that came the way they came like a Grilled Cheese, Ruben, Skinny Dipper, Hurt You Later Burger, The Duchaneaux Burger and more.
      Once a server knew the Cut n' Serve, they knew to ask questions for any other sandwich or burger. For example, if you ordered a Ruben we wouldn't ask you anything. You could say you wanted a substitution, but we didn't ask. But if you wanted a Roast Beef sandwich, we asked what type of bread, any cheese and what type of condiments.
     Here are some specific customer examples:
   
     Grumpy, a.k.a. John DeLille, always ordered a Ruben. We didn't ask him anything more except what side and drink.
     But Kathy Ball ordered a Rachel (Beef Pastrami, Sauerkraut, Swiss and 1,000 Island,) but she'd say "Sub mustard for the 1,000.
     Jenny Wilson asked for a grilled cheese, it's a Cut n' Serve, so we didn't ask her anything more than what side and drink.
     The Lily's, Troy and Triesta, usually split a Skinny Dipper, another Cut n' Serve... no questions.
     Marvin Morrell liked our Tankwich. It's not a Cut n' Serve. So we asked questions. He hates lettuce. So NO LETTUCE. Although once, I gave him a bag of shredded lettuce as a joke.
     Terry and Barbara Leatherwood each ordered Glendas (our second most popular sandwich.) She liked mustard. He liked mayonnaise or visa versa. I never could remember.
     Jennifer Taylor always wanted a Ruben, usually a Cut n' Serve, but requested extra kraut and 1,000 on the side.
     "No Tom Tommy" always got a Pig, not a Cut n' Serve. So, hold the tomatoes.
     Chris and Lisa Bargas were always a wait and see. He always got the Glenda. Lisa kept us guessing except, don't mess with her iced tea.
     Then there was Double Meat Durango Ted. The Durango was a Cut n' Serve, but Ted asked for double meat.
     The Classic Interior Ladies (Lyn Lancaster, Brenda Billingsley and Patti Grimmett) called in three Albuquerque Turkeys. They liked them cold--not toasted. This is where we harped on knowing the customers.
     Mitch from B's Beverage Barn liked his Yardbird, another Cut n' Serve. No questions necessary.
     Adrienne Williams always ordered a Grilled Cheese with chips and a Dr Pepper and always on Tuesdays.
     Ben Murphy generally said, "What's your special... O.K., I'll take it."
     Dalton Walton always wanted our Popeye Salad (Spinach). Then he'd say, "It's too G-D big. Cut it in half." His dearly departed wife, Linda, would say, "Oh Dalton......" "What" he'd ask in between big bites. "He wants to know what I think."

     This list and stories goes on and one, but the bottom line is each customer wanted what they wanted. Surprisingly, a lot of people do/did NOT like a pickle spear on the side.... even touching their food.

      The ultimate hope for each B.A.D. grad was to know the menu like the back of their hand, but more importantly to know each customer.
      I'm proud to say The Big Apple Deli received multiple Certificates of Excellence from TripAdvisor. Kudos to the student body.

Bill Robertson, I saw "No Tom Tommy" earlier today & played golf with "No Lettuce Marv". "Extra Kraut Jennifer" has three beautiful children. Ben's still a good friend. Good times.

   
   
     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Uncooperative Cows & English Bluebells

      I was going to title this blog STUPID COWS, but I think I got outsmarted and surprised by a batch of black and red bovines.  Uncoopera...