Bill Robertson. I'm the old one on the right. Those are my boys, Jack & Joe. I love 'em more than they can count.

Weddings Blog #3 (Africanized Bees)

     Our Wedding(s) Road Trip 2018 is one day closer, but first how about a not so accidental dangerous dose of battling Africanized bees? It's not so accidental because we brought in professionals to deal with the colony/hive or whatever the poisonous pests call themselves.
      I was zoomed in taking this video from about 50-feet away when less than a few seconds after I hit STOP.... Zap, Bang, Zing.... OUCH! I got stung on the back of the leg. Then, I felt something moving in my hair. That's when I took off for cover in the ranch Big House. Long story short is, I ended my three prong cleaning of Shop-Vac, Dry Swiffer and Wet Swiffer in my underwear and flip flops because I felt more unfamiliar movement in my clothes.
Ryno Pest Control

    Our battle of the bees has been a long time coming. I figured it wouldn't be easy. I didn't figure it'd be so dangerous.
      The fellas in the white suits are Ryan and Cody from Ryno Pest Control in Snyder. They told me that they're wearing white because bees can't see white. This was their first bee call of the season.
       Once they had all their gear on and their equipment up to speed, they quickly went to work. I stood inside taking pictures until the powdered fog they use began coming through the cracks in the building. That's when I thought it'd be a good idea to take pictures from outside the building.
Ryno Pest Control

      So here we are, thinking we're getting all our ducks in a row to go on this 2,200 mile road trip for Zach's wedding and then Jack's wedding and I've got two guys dressed in space gear with tools that look like "Dirt Devils" outside our ranch window.
      At this point, I'm really thinking this is no big deal. These guys will do their thing and we'll be good to go.... good to go on with our 'Caravan of Joy' to Baton Rouge and then Nashville.
     Oh my, I was wrong. The bees covered these guys like the time I wore too much after shave to a golf tournament in Ottumwa, Iowa. I was like "Pig Pen" from THE PEANUTS.
     Earlier, I wrote I escaped to the ranch "Big House." It wasn't long after that, I looked out the front door and spotted the pest control professionals speeding off to the east. Even they had had enough! We texted. It looked like this.. 


Ryan & I Texting Minutes after the Fog

     I'm inside.. practically naked, but feeling pretty safe until the professional tells me he's about to turn around to check on me.
     About this time, I thought... "Okay, stay naked and stay inside."
     
     True to his word, Ryan did come back and still in full gear. I stuck my head out the door.
      "Where are your keys? In your truck,?" he asked.
      "Yeah. Whatcha gonna do?"
      "I'm gonna move it closer so you can get out."
      "I'll be okay."
      "You might think about that."
      "Okay. Will ya move it here?"

       The old red truck got moved. Ryan and Cody left. I continued cleaning in my skivvies and eventually and very quietly made my way back to my truck.

       All the while, Teresa's back at home. I'm telling her not to come over to the ranch because it's not safe. I'm literally whispering to myself all the while trying to grab anything we might need. Then bless her heart, Teresa asks a few favors... like...
Teresa & I Texting Today
     
     I'm dressed at this point. I've finished my three prong cleaning (Shop-Vac, Dry Swiffer & Wet Swiffer) of both the Big and Little Houses. I'm planning/hoping to quietly sneak into my truck, which has been moved by the professional away from the seriously dangerous and poisonous Africanized bees and then.... 'Bring my purse, the book (an autobiography of Katherine Graham) and the phone charger.'
      I've got these deadly bees within feet of me. I've got a burning sting on my leg... but by golly... we do indeed need our phone chargers.
      So as quietly as a church mouse, I get out. I close my door like I used to do when I was sneaking out of the house in high school. I watch where I'm stepping so as not to break a twig. I enter the pavilion. I think I'm holding my breath. I unplug the phone charger which has a pane of glass separating me from the killer bees. I retreat back to the old red truck. I close the door like when I was returning from sneaking out in high school and I hit the gas!!!
     By gosh, our phones are damn sure charged at this writing.

     The unexpected chaos is now over. We're back at the ranch at this writing. We're practically done with all our 'expected' chores before leaving for Wedding(s) Road Trip 2018. Now, it's time to clean the toilets. 

Bill Robertson, I had a dream about snakes last night. If they show up, I'm gonna blast 'em.

 

     

1 comment:

Uncooperative Cows & English Bluebells

      I was going to title this blog STUPID COWS, but I think I got outsmarted and surprised by a batch of black and red bovines.  Uncoopera...