Bill Robertson. I'm the old one on the right. Those are my boys, Jack & Joe. I love 'em more than they can count.

Gracie & Me #4: Gracie Goes Golfing & the Littliest Cowpokes!

     I'm eating crow and strangely enough... It's not that bad if it's cooked right.πŸ˜€ I'm eating crow because until very recently I absolutely hated dogs on the golf course.
     My frustration began when I began playing golf again, mostly at our county course. Besides a laundry list of golf etiquette violations that rub/rubbed me the wrong way, the biggest frustration is/was people bringing their dogs with them while the humans golfed.
     One golfer in particular brings his little dog that barks and barks and barks. My golf game is consistently inconsistent. So the last thing I need when I'm trying to drive, chip or putt is a yipping dog that I can hear literally ALL OVER THE COURSE!!!😝

     But now, that's all changed because of our new dog, Gracie. I took her with me to the course last week. I really didn't know what to expect from her. So, I played early with my regular golfing buddy Marvin Morrell, now officially nicknamed "Uncle Marv." Take a look and turn up the volume because this is how it went.

     It really wasn't as chaotic as the video makes it look. The worst part was when Gracie & I first arrived. She ran and smelled. Then, she ran and smelled some more and some more and some more. But within about 15-minutes, Gracie calmed down and hung out with me on the putting green.
Gracie Golfing/Scurry Co. Golf Course

     Uncle Marv and I always play only nine holes. We start on number one, which should be an easy Par five. Usually, we make a mess of it but I think we both believe the next eight holes will be easy birdies. But as it usually turns out most times, they're not easy bogies much less birdies.πŸ˜‚
     Anyway, Gracie was great. Sure, she ran when we took off in our carts. But when we got ready to tee-off or play a shot, she stopped and even took proper position, that is behind the player about to take his/her swing.
     Seriously, there was a time when we were teeing off. I think it was on number three, a very long par three, slightly uphill to a left to right slopping green. Gracie was hanging out directly in my target line. I said, "Gracie, go back to Uncle Marvin." And, she did!          Ladies and gentlemen, this dog is a stray that showed up on our porch. She doesn't yip, jump or have any other bad habits besides a little chair chewing. And NOW.... she knows where to stand on the golf course! Call me crazy, but Gracie might be the perfect pet!!!

Youth Play Day/Scurry Co. Rodeo Grounds
     One of the better things about getting older is having time to really enjoy the good stuff. And it turns out, watching the grandkids do their thing is definitely a good thing.
     Our six year old granddaughter Halli loves riding horses and she wants to RODEO!πŸ˜ƒ She has a lil' horse named "Bliss" and this is their first summer to participate in our area's "Play Day."
     I know it sounds like something my mom did with my little brother, Peter, and the other neighborhood mothers, but this is a lot more than that. It revolves around kids, horses, families, competition and a LOT of sunscreen and bug spray.
Cody, Halli & Bliss/Scurry Co. Rodeo Grounds
   
     Gobs of kids are there and even more adults. The kids are separated into age groups and compete in three categories; Barrels, Poles and Flags. The bigger kids are fast and furious. The little ones like Hal aren't so fast as they are determined.
     Here's the visual: Halli's little. Bliss is about 15-hands. Hal's saddle is tiny. Her feet in stirrups might go down to half of Bliss's body. But still, Hal's determined to get Bliss moving. Hal's not wearing spurs. So, she's gotta kick to get Bliss going. Her legs are too short to squeeze, which is what she'll ultimately learn starts and stops a horse.

Halli & Bliss/Snyder Co. Rodeo Grounds

     So, she kicks and kicks and kicks. But her little legs really don't go anywhere. Imagine that you are standing with your arms hanging at your side. Now, flap your hands. That's what it looks like when a little six year tries to propel a 15-hand horse into locomotion. It's priceless to see up close and personal. It's absolutely perfect!
     I think if the horse, Bliss, could talk she'd say: "Hang on Lil' one. I got this. It isn't my first rodeo." I suspect if Halli could talk to Bliss that she'd say,"THAT IS SO MUCH FUN!"

     It's fun to feel young enough to take Gracie golfing with Uncle Marv. It's a lot more fun to be old enough to see and hear the fun of these Littliest Cowpokes.

     FORE and GIDDY-UP!

Bill Robertson
Next, Gracie the Gardner and my friend Martin!

   

   

3 comments:

Uncooperative Cows & English Bluebells

      I was going to title this blog STUPID COWS, but I think I got outsmarted and surprised by a batch of black and red bovines.  Uncoopera...