Bill Robertson. I'm the old one on the right. Those are my boys, Jack & Joe. I love 'em more than they can count.

Beach Blog #3

Our First Full Day
     I don't know about you but Teresa and I like to immerse ourselves in our time away from the familiarity of home. The adage is 'when in Rome.' Well, we pretty much apply that old saying even when we go to Lubbock, much less hundreds of miles from west Texas.
     If it's what the locals do or where the locals eat and drink, that's where will be. The highlights from Day #1 range from a perfect morning to dopplegangers from Snyder, the ocean on a plate and a chance meeting with a famous Hollywood actor, who was very nice by the way.
     Our unit is ground level, gulf front. We didn't get much further than the porch on our first, full day, at least for quite awhile. We'd just driven 1,046 miles. We weren't moving too fast and this morning proved particularly peaceful and slow. Like I said in a previous post, we always travel with a 'starter kit.' We always include the stuff we know were going to want so we don't have to go to the store first thing out of the shoot.
A Room with a View
      It wasn't until after a little unpacking, a big pot of coffee and a quick check of details affecting life back in Snyder that we even considered heading out the front door, the door that goes every where, but the beach.
     This is where I should confess we travel on our stomachs. Teresa wants local, local, local. This trip, she said, "I want shrimp with every meal." Since I'm all about cravings and I've had a seafood craving for about 30-years, we were on the same page or menu.
     First stop, a funky place called Big Bad Breakfast. From the outside looking in, BBB where the motto is "Lard Have Mercy!" is no great shakes. It was started in Oxford, MS by James Beard Award winning chef John Currence. Now, BBB includes multiple locations.
Big Bad Breakfast, Inlet Beach, FL.
      Once inside, we figured something's got to be working. The place was packed with a crowd ranging from infants to great grandparents. I'm not exactly sure how to describe the breakfast/lunch menu. You could have seafood anything. Or, you could
Crab Louie Omelet @ BBB
try who knows how many homemade choices.
     True to her word, Teresa chose a Crab Louie omelet. I had homemade biscuits with a country ham gravy that might be the best gravy I've ever had in my life. And do you see that fruit on T's plate? The pineapple tasted like it's described in a Webster's dictionary. Amazazing!
     Another thing we can't help doing is people watching. On this day before I could finish saying "Our server looks like," Teresa said "Barbara Jamison." They say everyone has a twin. In fact while grocery shopping, we both had to do a double take because the lady on aisle 5 looked exactly like Luann Burleson.
Luann Burleson's twin on Aisle Five
     In our quest for something from the ocean for every meal, it's a safe bet on this trip we'll be a local market or the big store everyday. Suffice it say, we're getting our shrimp on! Combine my cheap gene, with fresh seafood at an insanely low price and
Gulf Shrimp, Fresh & Cheap
we may both need a mercury poison test when we get back to beef country.
     Life is good. We are blessed and we are thankful.
     Coming up, the actor who made a name for himself at a friendly bar. I did get a picture of this guy. I'll share it in my next blog. For now, we're off to Thomas' Donut & Snack Shop looking for their shrimp and pimento cheese on Brioche with a side of flakey onion rings.
Bill Robertson, about to get my dive, drive-in on.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Uncooperative Cows & English Bluebells

      I was going to title this blog STUPID COWS, but I think I got outsmarted and surprised by a batch of black and red bovines.  Uncoopera...