Bill Robertson. I'm the old one on the right. Those are my boys, Jack & Joe. I love 'em more than they can count.

The Deli-Blog #4 (Singing & Dancing at B.A.D.)

      I definitely should've kept a daily journal of the deli's comings and goings. There are so many stories to tell you, but after being closed for almost two years--I'm struggling to know where to go.
     One of the most important things to me when we started B.A.D. was the music. I wanted good old fashioned rock n' roll to continually waft over our customers. I'm 55 years old now. So when we began, I was in my late 40s and a hard core 70s and 80s rock kind of guy. So that's what I wanted playing without interruption.
     First, we managed that with an iPad that mysteriously disappeared. Then, we went to Pandora. First, I went the cheap way. Then, we paid for a the advertise-less subscription. For diversity, the programmed channels ranged from rock n' roll to opera to show tunes to country rock. I really wanted our customers to tap their heels while they visited with us.
     One thing that I insisted was, the music must be diverse. I never wanted too much of any genre. In particular, I didn't want too much country music. Sorry folks, but C&W's just not my thing. I even posted a big sign by our computer in the office that read:
      "Don't touch the music! I like country but in small doses. This means you! Don't change my Pandora stations!"
      Besides our 'canned' music, we offered a ton of live shows. The initial thought came from Teresa. She'd been to Lubbock to take her dad, Sam to the doctor, and said there was a fella playing the piano at Market Street. She said, "That was so nice." "Okay, let's try it," I said.
        The acts ranged from hard rock to Texas songwriters. We had so many good bands thanks to a great booking agent out of Midland. A few of them definitely stand out.
      The first group, whose name I can't recall, played seriously hard rock n' roll. Geez, it was loud. They played on our back patio. Besides the packed back area, folks were sitting in their truck beds just jamming to the tunes. I have no idea what the lyrics were but the crowd loved them. I remember the lead singer was about seven feet tall and worked at a sign shop in Sweetwater. I heard he got married. I remember thinking, geez I hope she's not short.
       A group that I thought was great was the "Tone Pilots" out of San Angelo. They were older guys. They had real jobs. The lead singer used a remote amp and microphone. His name was Dan. He'd start on the inside stage and then walk outside on the sidewalk while singing and playing. But the icing on the cake was their blind saxophone player. "Geez, I hope he doesn't fall off the stage," I'd say to Teresa..
        If he wasn't the best individual artist, then it was the banjo player who often showed up with Snyder's own Sydney Wright.
       Another great pair was Matt and Michelle Ellis. I can't say enough great things about this duo. I met Matt and his young son, Richard, one morning at The Manhattan Coffeehouse. They were eating giant muffins.
       "Good morning," who's your buddy?, I asked.
       "This is Richard. Say hi buddy."
       "Nice to meet you guys. I'm Bill."
       "I'm Matt," I remember him saying all the while thinking this guy looks just like my son-in-law, Bobby Patton from Arizona.
       I don't remember how one thing led to another, but first Matt began playing at the deli and then he asked if his wife could come sing too.
       "Uh, sure, " I said. Then I think I asked, "is she any good."
       Boy was I and the rest of Snyder in for a Surprise. Michelle joined Matt and "killed it!" The Matt and Michelle duo played the deli so many times and always drew a huge crowd. They've since moved on and we dearly miss them.    
      But if I had to pick one singer who I'd always go back to, it'd be my friend Marcos Rios. Marcos fell into our laps. I think it was a GOD thing for both of us.
      Marcos was working at the coffeehouse. We were short handed. He was bored and needed to stay busy. Later, I would learn he was escaping some demons. But all I knew was, he was willing and able... a warm body. Turns out, he was absolutely great!
      Marcos took to waiting tables like a duck to water. He actually studied the menu, asked for advise on how to sell. He always walked to work. He never showed up late. I remember, he always apologized for what he apparently felt were shortcomings. I wish I'd told him, breathe. He was definitely a fast kind of guy.
      Anyway, I can't remember how it came about that Marcos began singing at B.A.D. I wish I could. But as I remember it, he said he could sing. I said "you wanna sing during lunch on Wednesdays while you wait tables"? And he said, "sure."
      We were all BLOWN AWAY. He covered everything. I think now he writes his own music. But then, he sang everything from Elvis to Prince and good too!
      My favorite memory is from a random Wednesday when Marcos would not only wait tables but also take the stage from 12:00-1:00pm. On this particular day, we were busy. Marcos had a full section of tables. Still, he took the stage.
       I don't remember how his set began or how far he was into it, but I'll never forget this.... in the middle of a song, still strumming his guitar... Marcos sang into the microphone:
       "Table three! How ya doin? Need anything! Want more tea? I'll be right there."
      Here was this guy in big round glasses singing on stage, covering the busiest section of tables because he was our 'go-to' waiter and still checking on his customers. Way to go Marcos.
      Since his days at B.A.D., I think Marcos has extinguished his demons and conquered his dreams. And that's the GOD part for us. Rock on Marcos!
      We had a lot of fun with music at the deli. Like I told my mother, 'I like music and I like to play it loud.' I remember that she winced a bit, pursed her lips and gave me a 'hmph' look. Still, she loved it when we played Sinatra. Jim Lionberger the retired game warden sang Sinatra. Mel Torme and Dean Martin... and loud too. That's when she gave me a thumbs up.

Bill Robertson, I could tell you so many ugly stories but it's so much nicer for me to remember the good guys.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Uncooperative Cows & English Bluebells

      I was going to title this blog STUPID COWS, but I think I got outsmarted and surprised by a batch of black and red bovines.  Uncoopera...