Bill Robertson. I'm the old one on the right. Those are my boys, Jack & Joe. I love 'em more than they can count.

I Came This Close to Getting Hacked!

     Don't think for a minute it can't happen to you. I didn't think it could happen to me and it came way too close for comfort. In fact, it was down right CREEEEEPY!

     I'm talking about getting my laptop hacked. I've heard the tales, seen the news reports and even randomly checked all my financial information for years. For so long, nothing seemed to happen. So, I guess I let my guard down.... and the bad guys came very close.

     
The Hacking that Almost Happened

     I'm going to tell you what happened, what I did, what I SHOULD HAVE DONE and what the experts told me after they cleaned up my computer.

     I was browsing a website for metal home designs. All of a sudden, a red box with some text came up. The red box with white lettering was about 4" x 4". Then a man's voice, without an accent, began to speak. He kept saying the same thing over and over: "Do not turn off your computer or restart your computer. You're computer is at risk. Call our emergency help line." 
     I'm listening to this anonymous voice. It's clear, accent free, direct and seems very authentic. About third time 'the voice' told me not to turn off my computer or restart it, a smaller, light blue box covered the text in the red box but the voice wouldn't stop. The blue box gave me an "OK" or "Cancel" option but neither would work.
     
    I wasn't panicking yet, but I think I came as close to it as I could get. Then, I clicked on a red ALERT banner in my navigation bar. The big red box covered by the smaller blue box never disappeared and the 'voice' never quit, but a phone number appeared: 866-679-4832. I called. It was a big mistake but could've been so much worse.

     The number rang. A recording came on saying: "You've reached the Microsoft Edge help line. Your call will be answered by the next available representative." So to me, although I'm on the border of freaking out, it still all looks authentic and honest.
     A female named 'Stephanie' with a severe accent came on the line. She asked what's wrong. I tried to explain. She offered help. Then, I made my second, almost worse than terrible mistake.

     'Stephanie' with the thicker than thick accent, which isn't so unusual these days when talking to techies, asks: "May I have access to your mouse?" "Yes, please!" 
     She has me click a couple buttons and then she's in my computer. "See my mouse. I'm going to look through a few things with your permission." "Yes, go ahead."

     Long story short is, 'Stephanie' with the accent said, "You've been hacked by someone in Dayton, Ohio. They've stolen your I-P  address." I don't know what an I-P address is but I remember 'Stephanie' pronounced Dayton like Day-Tone.

"Ok. What do I do?"
"We need to clean your server."
"My what?"
"Your server."
"What?"
"LISTEN TO ME! We need to clean your server."
    
        For me this was really the first red flag. Up until 'Stephanie' got pushy, everything seemed so legitimate.

"Ok. How's that work?"
"You need to go to Wal-Mart, CVS or Walgreens and get this." At this point, she's clicked around so many times my head is spinning but she's showing me the Microsoft SQL Server 2017 Standard-Open License at Wal-Mart for $869.99.

"C'mon? Really? I got to spend that much. It's that bad?"
"Yes! LISTEN TO ME!"
"Wait, wait, wait 'Stephanie'. Are you telling me that's the only way?"
"Let me try something else. Give me your password."
"My password to my Google account?" By this time, I'm lighting my cigarettes with the cigarette I just smoked and I've called Teresa over to look at the computer and listen to the conversation.

"Um, no 'Stephanie'. I think I'd like to speak to some professionals I know. Thank you, you've been very patient with me."
"Just go to Wal-Mart, CVS or Walgreens and get what I told you."
"No, I'm not comfortable with that."

       At this point as my old meteorologist friend Ken Siemek in Lincoln, Nebraska would say, I was flummoxed. Thank goodness Teresa said, "Let me talk to her." I gladly gave the phone

     "Who am I speaking to please," she asked with absolutely no doubt she wanted an answer and she wanted it NOW.
      You got to know this about T, she is absolutely top shelf. Her middle name is Ann, but kind, thoughtful, gentle, caring, compassionate, attentive, prayerful and patient would work just as well. But when she gets riled.... she means it.

      Again, "Who am I speaking to? Stephanie? May I speak to your supervisor please? Thank you."
Then in a matter of seconds, not the usual lengthy wait to speak to a manager for phone solicitation calls I hear Teresa again ask... "Who am I speaking to please?"

      By now, a male had apparently come to the phone. We're nearing the end of the 'what happened' portion of the story and for me the scariest part.

      "Nathan Banks? Your name is Nathan Banks? Uh hum. We want you to release control of this computer so we can shut it down and take it to our local computer store experts."
       I couldn't hear him, but he must've said no.
       "What, you can't let loose and give us control?"
       He must've said no, again.
      "It's a scam. Hang up and turn it off Bill." I did.

      "Wow, what was that," I asked her.
      "It's a scam. Just leave it off for a few minutes and turn it back on."
      "That was freaky."
      "You didn't give them any passwords or account information, did you?"
      "No."
      "Okay. It'll be okay."

     About five minutes later, I began trying to log back into the computer. Nothing happened. The log-in password wouldn't work. And then, the phone rang "UNKNOWN NUMBER."

      "Hello, Windmill Ranch Preserve. This is Bill."
      "Sir, you cannot get back into your computer," said a man's thickly accented voice.

      It was creepy. Think of Liam Neesen's character in "Taken." My stuff of course was only a computer and life savings, not the safety of a child. But still, it was capital letters CREEPY.

      "Who is this? What's your name?"
      "John Banks."
      "John, we just want to get back into our own computer."
      "It cannot happen. Your computer is at risk. You need to go to Wal-Mart, CVS or Walgreens to get that device."
       "Can I go tomorrow?"
       "No. You get it now. We help you install it for free. It takes about 20 minutes."
       "John, I'm sorry. I'm not comfortable with that."
       "Sir, you called us for help!"
       "I know John, but I'm not comfortable. I want to look someone in the eye."
       "Are you going to the store now to get that device."
       "No, I am not," I said. And then, he said what I'll never forget and completely convinced me it was a scam because at this point, while there were red flags, the element of authenticity still existed. Until he said...
        "Then, you're wasting my time." Click. He hung up.

       Now, here's what I should have done: 1) Never called and 2) Never given them access.

       Here's what our local professionals told us today: 1) Definitely a scam, 2) Of course, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER give out passwords or other personal data and 3) JUST LIKE THE IRS WILL NEVER CALL YOU TO SAY YOUR DELINQUENT..... NO COMPUTER BUSINESS, UNDER ANY SEEMINGLY OFFICIAL NAME WILL CONTACT YOU either through your computer or by phone! NEVER!  

      We dodged a bullet. I hope my too close for comfort call helps you. Please pass the word to your friends and family especially to your elderly/geriatric friends and family. These hackers use terrible scare tactics and are very clever in disguising their motives.

Bill Robertson, it dawned on me a little later that John/Nathan Banks was the name of the father in "Mary Poppins."


     


No comments:

Post a Comment

Uncooperative Cows & English Bluebells

      I was going to title this blog STUPID COWS, but I think I got outsmarted and surprised by a batch of black and red bovines.  Uncoopera...