Bill Robertson. I'm the old one on the right. Those are my boys, Jack & Joe. I love 'em more than they can count.

Gracie and Me; Covid-19 #6


     The Festus & Fife Detective Agency is back in business. Covid-19 can't stop a good country mystery.(pic)
     Teresa is Festus and I'm Fife and on the side... we like to try to solve mysteries whether they're about mystery lights on the ranch at night or, in our latest case, a mystery vehicle traveling our county road.
     There's one very important point to tell you about our FFDA. Simply put, we are ALWAYS wrong. Still, we like to try.
CR 242/Scurry Co. TX
     First, we got the facts. A neighbor, a white male in his mid-20s, 165-190 pounds and a big white dog, who we'll keep mostly  anonymous told us: The vehicle's a silver, H2 Hummer. The SUV's driver goes past our Windmill Ranch gate and then turns around about a mile down the road.  The neighbor told us, the drive-by happened the past three nights, each time around 19:30 (that's 7:30pm.)
     Recon isn't our strong suit. We normally just bat around a few 'what ifs,' think we solved the mystery and then realize we're completely wrong.
Windmill Ranch Preserve/Scurry Co. TX
     But this time, we hatched a plan. First, we'd wait just inside the gate. We'd let the Hummer go west, turn around and when it passed our gate again we'd exit and casually get behind the vehicle to get the license plate number. At the time, we thought it was a great idea.
     Well... First, we were too close to the gate. So, we backed up. Then, I ran over a little, mesquite tree so I'm pretty sure I'm gonna have a flat. Finally, we found a spot and it started to rain. In the end, there was no Hummer. In fact, there was no one. So like usual for our budding detective firm, we got nothing. But, we're good with that.
Betty Elam/Snyder, TX
     Next, we met Betty and she gave us her paper towels. There were only three packages of paper towels in all of Snyder this morning. There are zero packages tonight. But thanks to Mrs. Betty Elam this morning we walked away from CVS with the golden ticket. Here's what happened at the register.

     Me: "Is that all the paper towels."
     Mrs. Elam: "Yep. I got the last of it. And don't go to Walmart or United. They don't have any."
     Me: "I know."
     Mrs. Elam: "Do you need some?"
     Me and Teresa: "Uh, no ma'am. If you need 'em, you take 'em."
     Mrs. Elam: "I don't know if they'll let me. I may be over my limit. Will ya sell 'em to me," she asked the young woman at the register.
     Young Woman at the Register: "That's up to you ma'am."
     Mrs. Elam: "Y'all take 'em. You can have my paper towels, but YOU CAN'T HAVE MY TOILET PAPER!!"
The Golden Ticket

     So, we paid $9.69 for a package of six paper towel rolls. But the lady in the great, green t-short and sense of humor, we now have paper towels for a few days. Thank you Mrs. Elam.

     Gracie update: Gracie's off her feed. Teresa's convinced we need to give her a variety.
   
     T: "How would you like to eat the same thing every night.".
     Me: "She's a dog. An animal."
     T: "Still."
   
      I bet Gracie gets something with chicken tomorrow.

     Diet update: I'm down another pound. Tonight, we're having Swai (catfish) stuffed with spinach Madeleine (Mrs. Olivier's recipe) and blanched asparagus with cracked peppers & lemon. I know it sounds good, but I used fancy words. I'd rather have a Whopper with pickles, onions and heavy mustard and fries with some of Burger King's fancy sauce. Then after awhile, I'd like a brownie topped with Blue Bell's Homemade Vanilla.

Bill Robertson, Thanks Mrs. Elam. The direct line for the FFDA is: 1-800-ONE-BULLET
     
   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Uncooperative Cows & English Bluebells

      I was going to title this blog STUPID COWS, but I think I got outsmarted and surprised by a batch of black and red bovines.  Uncoopera...