Bill Robertson. I'm the old one on the right. Those are my boys, Jack & Joe. I love 'em more than they can count.

Gracie and Me, Covid-19 #5



     Covid 19 can't stop time. The Coronavirus, no matter how serious and scary, can't stop birthdays and anniversaries.
     Today (3/18) is my step-son Cody's 34th. Tomorrow is his wedding anniversary to Kayci. And the day after tomorrow (3/20) is their daughter's birthday, my granddaughter.... Tillie Ann Wall. She'll be three years old and she wants a bike and not just any bike.
The Baby Shark
     Tillie's asked for the yellow, Baby Shark bicycle with training wheels she saw while shopping with her mom at Walmart.
     At first, we didn't know if were looking at the right bike. There were a lot of them, but none said the two most important words: Baby Shark. We spotted it high up on the bike rack. I couldn't understand how a three year old could look up so high and spot her birthday wish. But, we would learn, thanks to a nice Walmart lady.

     Here's how it played out...
     Me:" I'm sorry to ask but can you get that yellow bike up at the top?"
     Nice Walmart Lady: "Don't be sorry. That's what I do. I'll be right back. I gotta grab the ladder."
   
     Well, 'right back' wasn't exactly 'right back.' So, I had time to text Kayci the above picture. I added to the text, "Is this the right bike?" We didn't have to wait for Kayci to reply before we got absolute confirmation from the nice Walmart lady.

     Nice Walmart Lady: "Okay. You want the yellow, Baby Shark, right?"
     Me: "Yes. Please."
     Nice Walmart Lady: "Does someone have a birthday coming up? There was a little girl in the store the other day with her mom and she REALLY wanted that bike."
     Me: "Was she a little blonde headed girl?"
     Nice Walmart Lady: "Yep."
     Me: "That'd be Tillie! How'd that go for you?"
     Nice Walmart Lady: "She REALLY wanted that bike."

     Viola! Confirmation! Turns out Tillie had seen the Baby Shark when the store had it on display at ground level. So, I'm happy to report that she wasn't just wondering around Walmart and staring up at the ceiling.
The Baby Shark
     We took the yellow bike back to our house for safe keeping until Tillie's big day, but not before another Walmart helper filled me in on the Baby Shark craze.
     Turns out that Baby Shark is a very popular kids program with apparently lots of merchandizing that goes with it.

     Me: "I didn't know that," I told the helpers.
     The Nice Walmart Lady: "Oh yeah. My daughter loves 'em. She has all their stuff. She plays the song all day long."
     Me: "There's a song? Didn't know that."
    Other Walmart Helper: "It doesn't come with the bike."
                                                             Me: "Thank goodness."

     So back off Covid-19! Tillie's getting her bike and you can't shut down time. Don't worry. We're not ruining her surprise by writing about it. She can't read.

     Diet Update: I'm down 19-pounds as of this morning. Teresa's down even more. Still, it's tough. Today, I can't get a chicken fried steak with mashed potatoes and gravy and push peas out of my head.

     Gracie Update: I'm pretty sure she's bored. She had to go out this morning at 4:00. When I called her back, she definitely wasn't ready to get back in her kennel or basket as Tillie calls it.

Bill Robertson, Ride Tillie Ride!
   
   

1 comment:

  1. Thank heaven for little girls and grandfathers who tackle the perfect gift search

    ReplyDelete

Uncooperative Cows & English Bluebells

      I was going to title this blog STUPID COWS, but I think I got outsmarted and surprised by a batch of black and red bovines.  Uncoopera...