Bill Robertson. I'm the old one on the right. Those are my boys, Jack & Joe. I love 'em more than they can count.

Gracie & Me: Covid-19 #2


     The news about Covid-19 and west Texas weather have a lot in common. Both can change in 24-hours.
Stormy Snyder Texas

     We had a rare, beautiful day yesterday. The skies were blue, the temperature hovered in the cool range and the wind didn't blow. That's what we call a good day. But within 24-hours and just like the news about Covid-19, we had new developments. Our weather changed from the perfect to the nasty, just like the quickly changing news of the virus that for a reason unbeknownst to me appears named after a Mexican beer.
     I started writing this particular blog because someone on Facebook said to use this time of crises and fear to do something productive. I figured, why not keep a daily journal(ish) and share it as a blog.
     This is the third day of the Covid-19 Serious Scare. That's what I'm calling it. I've changed my daily shopping habits to practice 'social distancing.' I wouldn't say I'm running scared, but I'm definitely on alert. So to that end, I've started shopping during the early morning hours at our local grocer. It's a good and bad thing.
     It's good because, I can get in and out in mere minutes. It's bad because I haven't seen anyone I really know. That's good because I don't have to visit or more precisely not stand within six feet of anyone and I don't have to shake hands. It's bad because, I don't get to visit and I don't get to shake hands. WE don't get to visit and shake hands.(pix)
No Chicken-No Turkey, Snyder TX
     I wish I could report about significant updates at our local grocer, but I can't. The toilet paper and paper towel aisle are still empty, the canned goods are running low and the frozen vegetables are almost gone too. Strangely, all the healthy stuff in frozen foods is still very well stocked. Today, I needed cauliflower rice and I had two or three whole shelves to choose.
     Speaking of cauliflower rice, I needed that stuff because of this whacko diet we're taking. The diet works, but the food choices are absolutely the worst. Before I begin my tirade about healthy eating, there's one thing I should be honest about. I'm a craver. There, I said it.
Big Mac, Snyder TX
     I crave Big Macs. I know the secret sauce is just Thousand Island, but I'll never forget the time that my youngest son, Joe, and I were sharing a number-1 at a McDonalds and he said, "Dad, it just doesn't get any better than this." I'll never, ever forget that moment.  I crave Krispy Kreme doughnuts so much that I can taste them when I go to bed. I crave Kraft macaroni and cheese, but with A-1. Oooh, it's so good. I crave my homemade, mini Muffaletas. I crave nachos with lots of jalapenos. I'm a craver. So to eat 'fuelings,' as they're called, that taste similar to paste and then get only one real meal a day that's mostly vegetables is kind of like going to the dentist. Terrible! But, I gotta admit the diet works. There! I vented!
     Gracie, the dog, is good. She's kind of bored with us just sitting around waiting for the world to end, but she's chewing sticks, gnawing on rocks and chasing the occasional varmit. She's a good girl.

Bill Robertson, starving!
Update: I went back to the store because I forgot something. They had chicken, turkey and some beef. I said to the meat manager, "Looks like you're back in business." He quietly and cautiously replied, "At least for now."


2 comments:

  1. So before the apocalypse, Tee decided that it would be healthy for us to be vegan. I call myself a home vegan because at the school where I work, we get 2 to 3 well prepared meals a day with all the meat and animal products anyone could ever want.

    Of course that ended this past week and now I truly Am a home vegan, your blog did nothing for me except make me want to go get all of those bad products and eat them in one sitting. You did leave out the Dearmans burger, it just doesn’t get any better than that although the big apple deli burger was an equivalent for sure.

    On the plus side, I am loving me the social distancing, of course that is until the money runs out then it will be a whole nother story.

    Keep writing Bill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rich. Hope you, Tee and all your team is healthy and happy. I don't know what I was thinking to leave out the Dearman's burger. OMG! Big mistake. I remember those days so well. Calling out your order b/c the ladies behind the counter wouldn't pay attention to kids. Then, getting that giant order of fries and opening seemingly dozens of ketchup packets. And then, going home for supper at 6:00. :)

      Delete

Uncooperative Cows & English Bluebells

      I was going to title this blog STUPID COWS, but I think I got outsmarted and surprised by a batch of black and red bovines.  Uncoopera...