Bill Robertson. I'm the old one on the right. Those are my boys, Jack & Joe. I love 'em more than they can count.

My First Time

     I had a new first this past weekend. We've all had a 'first time.' We've had the kind you can talk about and we've had the kind we can't or shouldn't talk about.

     I think this 'first' is safe to talk about. I went to church this past Sunday with Teresa and I wore shorts. I never dreamt I'd ever wear shorts to church. I've seen people wear shorts to church, but didn't think I'd ever go sans pants.

     Before I post anymore, I must say that I wore nice shorts and a nice shirt and pretty decent shoes... with socks!
     I don't know what has kept me from wearing shorts to church. I guess it's because I'm 55 years old and I was raised back in the day when dads wore suits and little boys wore clip-on ties. Of course, those were also the days when church was absolutely no fun.

     Boy, do I remember hating to go to church. I have a very clear memory of living in San Antonio. We went to church ever Sunday and I remember EVERY Sunday hoping my mom and dad would forget to wake me up.
     Not only did they wake me up, we also were the family that stopped at Dunkin' Donuts for donut holes for their Sunday school class. We went to church and I don't think I was ever excited about it. I did like the donut holes as I remember.

    I also remember when I asked my dad to show me Jesus. I don't remember what church, but it was after the service. We were standing outside... visiting. Really, mom and dad were visiting. I was probably fidgeting. Anyway, I asked dad. He took me into the sanctuary and pointed to the stained glass above the alter, you know... the 1970s church with the back wall always with the stained glass.        "There's Jesus," he said as he pointed to the glass.
     "Where?"
     "There."
     "Oh," I think I said but didn't really get it.

     So, that was church as I remember it; Coat and tie, boring, not fun, and really confusing. The really hard part for me is/was, it really never changed for me over the years.
     I went to an Episcopal school with chapel once a week. I can recite the Nicene Creed by rote. We attended an Episcopal church on the corner, :Later when I married, we even became deacons in a Presbyterian church. But the cold truth for me was, I was all dressed up, but walking away empty handed.

     Many years later, I somehow crossed the border at a church that still wasn't as loose as wearing shorts but gripping, entertaining, informative, enlightening, helpful and educational.
     We had friends who kept inviting us to their big, mega church. I wasn't about to go and sit with a bunch of hand waving fanatics. So, I constantly and consistently said no, but all the while taking my family to our calm, collected, coat and tie wearing Methodist church in Franklin, Tennessee. And then one New Year's eve, I said: "Ok, we'll meet you at your church this Sunday."

     Here's what happened. My family arrived. Our friends were already in their seats... down front... waving to us. "Oh crap," I'm pretty sure I said to myself but probably loud enough for others to hear. Our friends waved us down and we sat... my friend who invited us to my right. My oldest son, Jeff who was about 14 at the time, to my left.
     "Hey," I said to my friend.
     "Hey."
     "Big crowd."
     "Yeah. They're here early because that's when they bring out the snakes."
     "What!!!!"
     He just laughed.
     "You ready for the snakes," Jeff added.
     "Shut up."

     The unquestionable bottom line is: The church, The People's Church in Franklin, TN., and my friend's insistence to try it changed my life. I finally liked going to church. And because I liked going to church, I actually listened. I received the message. I began to understand.

     Since then, my church life's been inconsistent at best. But it was my time at The People's Church that brought me to our Lord and Savior. Somehow, this church had the formula for me. I suspect based on the size of the congregation, this church had the formula for many people.

     I've found a few similar inspiring, enlightening churches like The People Church. Two of my favorites are The Heights Church in Prescott, AZ and my little sister's church Trinity at the Marketplace in Albuquerque.

     I note these because while The People's Church in Tennessee awakened me, The Heights and Trinity liberated me, but simultaneously kept the lamp on the nightstand versus under the blanket.
     The Heights is a lot like The People's Church, but more laid back. Trinity is more hardcore in that the congregation is more diverse, subsequently or presumably more staid, but infinitesimally more casual.
      The good news, at least for me and hopefully others, is the message these three churches deliver gets gladly delivered to all walks of life, no matter the attire. And because of that casualness, the 'want' to go to church is revived, whether you get a chance to go to those churches or you don't.... you still want to go to church vs the old days when... you felt you 'had' to go to church.

     So, I wore shorts to church but I wanted to go to church. I still would've gone, but I felt comfortable going in shorts.
     I think in my dad's very, always very quiet, way with me that he was explaining that while I can't see or hear Jesus, he's right there and he can see and hear me. So maybe his point was, as long as I/we believe in Jesus... It doesn't matter what I/we wear to church.

Bill Robertson, Romans 14:11
   
   

   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Uncooperative Cows & English Bluebells

      I was going to title this blog STUPID COWS, but I think I got outsmarted and surprised by a batch of black and red bovines.  Uncoopera...