Bill Robertson. I'm the old one on the right. Those are my boys, Jack & Joe. I love 'em more than they can count.

Gracie and Me: Covid-19 #40

     Texas and a lot of other states are reopening. There it is again... Another sentence I never expected to hear, say or write. I'm on the fence. In fact, a majority of Texans are on the fence and even opposed to reopening.
     A U-T/TTU poll shows that two-thirds of registered voters support the Governor's plan to suspend non-essential business operations. And more than three-quarters support Stay at Home orders.
Phased In Reopening/Texas
     But, Governor Greg Abbott is moving forward with a 'phased-in' re-opening. Places like retail stores, restaurants and even movie theaters can re-open Friday with the 'phased-in' restrictions like only 25% occupancy for awhile and then more and then more, etc.
     The Texas economy is second only to California. There's no question Covid-19 is more than evaporating our state's bottom line and it's absolutely devastating families. More than 208-thousand Texas workers filed unemployment claims through last week. C-19's also killing people and that's the rub. I guess I buried the lead.
     Is business more important than human life? Would there be quality human life without business? Should small, rural towns like Snyder enforce 'Stay at Home' sanctions for well being of approximately 11-thousand people or should it lift the sanctions for the 400+ businesses, many of them small, that help fuel it's economy?http://www.co.scurry.tx.us/
     I bet about now our newly elected County Judge Dan Hicks is wondering something like "what in the world did I get into." He's the one stepping up to the plate and taking one for the team. He's the one charged with enforcing the Governor's plans with a few localized tweaks here and there. He's the one facing the terrible, terrible question... Open for the sake of the economy or stay closed for  safety?
     Judge, you have my respect and attention.  Readers, what would you choose? I've been a small business person. I've sweated those days when I needed two or three times the amount of businesses. I think, now in April 2020, I'd.....

Bill Robertson (4/2720,) Good luck to those re-opening. Let's support them as we feel that we can. Good luck to those preferring to 'Stay Home.' Let's be kind to them too.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Uncooperative Cows & English Bluebells

      I was going to title this blog STUPID COWS, but I think I got outsmarted and surprised by a batch of black and red bovines.  Uncoopera...